Handy is a freelance handy-work service that was launched in 2012 by Oisin Hanrahan, Umang Dua, Ignacio Leonhardt, Weina Scott. Think of it as Uber, but for contractors for house cleaning, electrical work, plumbing, painting, furniture moving, and other common household services. The service is currently available in select cities in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. Employees only need to have a mobile phone or computer with an Internet connection and a background check to get started.
In 2015, handy raised over $50 million dollars from investors to help expand and re-launch the project after closing previously. It is continuing to expand its operation to more cities in the United States and possibly around the world. Handy now is receiving $1 million worth of bookings perk week and growing. According to Bloomberg, it is estimated that the company has a net work of $500 million.
For home cleaning professionals, $15 to $22 per hour seems to be the standard rate. Currently, the majority of works on Handy are house cleaners with 85% of the market share. The rest of the 15% is mostly from plumbers, electricians and furniture moving. This is definitely much higher than the standard range of employed cleaners, which is usually barely above minimum wage. Cleaners are able to pick their own hours so it is perfect for students or homemakers that need extra cash. There are more than 200,000 applications open to Handy and over 5,000 active professionals working. According to Handy, 80% of their customers are repeat customers so there is a sense of stability for workers.
Nowadays according to sohostrut.com, consumers are becoming more accustomed to hiring freelance professional services from their phone. Uber, Lyft, Airbnb and Upwork are other famous examples of successful self employment apps. Hopefully the market will shift toward self employed, online professionals for menial labor thanks to apps like Handy.